Hoo Rah!

Hey. Welcome to my mission blog. If you're interested in keeping in touch with me via mail, check out my address(es) on the right side of the page. If you're too lazy to do that, go ahead and read the posts below.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

2.8.11 Satelite, Hermosillo

I got to go to the Hermosillo temple with the rest of my zone. Wow, that was interesting. And a bit confusing with all the Spanish. But it was cool.

Other than that, let me explain my letters from the past couple weeks. I have wasted absolutely zero time in my mission (I don´t count SLC, since I worked mentally even when my companions didn´t allow me to work physically), and if I have been less than my best, it has been because I am just not accustomed to it--and that happens to every single new gringo missionary. Or at least, that´s what I´ve understood from the other missionaries here. Their first weeks were hard too, but it seems like something clicked this week.

I was listening to a GC talk while exercising in the morning, named "Your Mission will change everything," by an authority I don´t remember. It was a great talk, and it reminded me of the words President Hinckley´s father had for him: "Forget yourself, and go to work." I´ve heard that phrase many, many times, but for some reason, this time, something happened. I accepted it, or something. I don´t know, but it made an impression in a way different than ever before. Like I said, something just clicked.

That day was the best day I´ve had in the field. I stopped thinking and started doing. It felt amazing. As I told E. Cancino (but in Spanish), "Today, I feel like a missionary." Then, again, with my hands raised to the sky, "I AM A MISSIONARY!! GAH!! YEAH!"

And I don´t know if I mentioned this before, but E. Cancino is the only member in his family. He was baptized when he was 16, and left on a mission just two years later. That would be so hard--he´s a better man than I am. And Dad, you were too. I don´t know if I would have that kind of strength. But thanks for going on a mission, Dad.

Love you all. I´m out of time, but things are getting better, and it looks like I´m getting stronger. Adios!

Elder Humbert

No comments: