Hoo Rah!

Hey. Welcome to my mission blog. If you're interested in keeping in touch with me via mail, check out my address(es) on the right side of the page. If you're too lazy to do that, go ahead and read the posts below.

Monday, July 11, 2011

7.11.11 -- Satelite, Hermosillo



LOTS of thunderstorms here. But also, great sunsets. The only downside is that it´s super humid now. Check it out. If you look closely, you can see the giant sweat stripe on my chest. That was after a few minutes outside.

Ah, spiritual experience. This week, we were able to find a young man (I say that, but he´s older than I) who hasn´t had the best experiences in his family. Or with certain substances. I won´t go into details, but he needed a blessing. It seems like I´m telling a lot of stories involving the priesthood lately. It was . . . different. E. Rivas and I put our hands on his head, and he began to shake, from his tears. As he bobbed up and down, I stated my authority and began to pronounce the blessing. In that moment, I remembered a quote from E. Nelson of the 12. "When we pray, we speak for ourselves. When we give blessings, we speak for God." Something happened after that. I stopped thinking and began to speak. I felt like I had an electrical current running through my body, culminating in my chest. Words came streaming out of my mouth. I don´t remember what they all were, but my voice was more confident than it has ever been when speaking Spanish. I finished the blessing, and the man stood up. He gave both E. Rivas and I a hug, and even though I don´t enjoy lingering man-hugs, especially while sweating in the heat, it seemed like he was holding onto us for dear life. We spoke with him afterwards, and taught of repentance. We´re going back in a few days.

I realized how crazy it is that I´m in this position. I interviewed another person this week for baptism, and I thought, "Who would ever trust a 19 year old boy who knows nothing about anything to conduct a baptismal interview?" I don´t get it. But apparently God does, and I´m not arguing.

Adios,

Elder Humbert

No comments: