Hoo Rah!

Hey. Welcome to my mission blog. If you're interested in keeping in touch with me via mail, check out my address(es) on the right side of the page. If you're too lazy to do that, go ahead and read the posts below.

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

12.28.10 MTC

Not much has happened since Christmas, so I’ll only put a few things down here.

I’m a little sick. . . hopefully, it’ll pass soon, but wow is it annoying to study with a headache. I’m sure it won’t take too long for me to get better. But. . . hmm. What else can I say that isn’t in my e-mail or the rest of the letter? I’ll just wait until after the devotional tonight to finish.

Tonight was Lowell Snow, of the 2nd Quorum of the 70. As usual, it was a great devotional, and as usual, what he talked about reminded me of other things I have heard and thought.

In a nutshell, he talked about the gospel/doctrine of Christ: faith in Him & His Atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end. It was very good how he explained it all, but my mind kind of fixed upon the first principle: faith. I turned to Alma 32, and read verse 27, where Alma says to “exercise a particle of faith.” He then continues to say that this “exercising” can be great of small -- or at least what I got from it -- so small, in fact, that in the beginning all we really need to do is desire to believe. Desire is a facet of agency, and that immediately brings up a whole other tenet in the gospel, but the simple thing is that faith is something that is associated with action, no matter how small. Faith isn’t dormant. It needs works (James 7:17-18). Without outward action (or inward, I guess), faith isn’t faith.

That may be a basic fact of the gospel that I’ve been taught many times before, but that’s what stuck out to me the most tonight. But anyway, I hope this letter gets to its destination quickly, unlike last time. Adios!

Elder Humbert

No comments: