Hoo Rah!

Hey. Welcome to my mission blog. If you're interested in keeping in touch with me via mail, check out my address(es) on the right side of the page. If you're too lazy to do that, go ahead and read the posts below.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

1.24.11 - Satelite, Hermosillo

First off, I´m safely here. Although I think everyone already knew that. Also, I´m glad the kids (mis sobrinos) are having fun. Wow, I miss them. Although I miss a lot of things. But anyway, the third thing I want to say is that this is my actual address, not the one that was in the mission packet (which annoys me):

Elder Humbert
Av. Garcia Conde #301
Col. Pitic
Hermosillo, Sonora
CP 83150

Yeah, so I really hope that you didn´t send any packages to that address, because there´s a chance that some random Mexican guy is opening up a box somewhere and wondering what the heck Odwalla bars and a really nice knife from Bro. Delevan is doing in a package addressed to him. Also, if you ever do send packages, apparently it´s a really good idea to put pictures of Jesús or the Virgen de Guadalupe on it. Like stickers, or something else that´s Christian. Otherwise, apparently the Mexican postal service likes sharing packages with you. And hopefully my package that I left with my companions in Salt Lake either gets to me or you (I put Escallonia Dr. down as the return address). Otherwise, Mark´s copy of Jesus the Christ, a ton of Costco multivitamins, a ton of Odwalla bars, and other American things are probably being enjoyed or trashed by random people in Mexico.

Anyway, about my mission so far. This is HARD. And I mean HARD. I know that this is supposed to be hard, but it seems like whenever RMs talk about their missions, they probably are leaving out the first couple weeks. Because even though I have NEVER seriously considered being disobedient to gratify my need for sleep or other things, I find it a lot harder now to ignore those temptations. But in the end, I know I´ll change and be accustomed to the mission life (you know, the whole "refiner´s fire" and "fuller´s soap" expression). But this kind of hardship is just different. In football, I was physically beaten into the ground before I got stronger. Literally. At BYU, I was confronted with the knowledge that I am nothing without my family and I have zero knowledge about anything compared to others, namely, my teachers and fellow students. But eventually I got more disciplined, smarter, more efficient, and more grateful in order to change. Out here, though, it´s both physical and mental (really mental. The Mexican accent is tough to understand after my gringo lingo [haha, that rhymed. Wow, I feel like a fruit right now] in the MTC). But along with that, it´s spiritual hardship out here. At BYU, if I messed up, I would have lost a scholarship and maybe not have money to go to school. But here, if I mess up, it´s people´s lives on the line. Sure, maybe not this life, but the life to come. This is much more important than any other thing that I have ever done.

So yeah, this first week has been the toughest time of my life. I am not exaggerating whatsoever. This is hard. I hope I´ll grow accustomed and change soon. I always do. But right now, I need it more than ever. And quickly. Although I´ll still have to learn patience. Probably before I do change.

But the good news is that I have an awesome companion, even if it´s really frustrating sometimes when we can´t communicate completely, since he´s from Chiapas (state of Mexico near Guatemala), but he works hard. He´s probably a harder worker than a hundred of me right now, since it seems like I contracted epilepsy this past week, but hey, I´m learning. Oh, and he´s district leader as well. But unfortunately, I have to cut this short because I have to write to my mission president now. !Adios!

Oh, and by the way, I´m in the Satelite area in the city of Hermosillo. No bike, no car, and AWESOME food. Also, pictures will have to come next week. Lo siento (sorry)

Elder Humbert

Oh, and my companion´s name is Elder Cancino

No comments: